Monday, February 1, 2016

Blog #2

As a student I've used Microsoft Word for almost every assignment that has to be typed or turned in electronically. I'm fairly certain that I have been using it since elementary school. It has almost become a staple for the classroom. Specifically, I use it to write essays, customize projects, and even to make flyers. In my high school Introduction to Information Technology class I got my certificate in Microsoft Word. I also notice that my teachers use Microsoft Word. They use it to write their syllabus, make study guides,  and handouts.

In my experience I have never run into any problems with copy right and fair use. I always try my best to cite my sources and give credit where its due. However, I know that I still need to be cautious when using other people's work to enhance my own rather than to steal their ideas. The best way to stay away from plagiarism is to always cite your source. As a teacher, I would distinguish what is considered fair use. For instance, if I was making a profit from someone else's intellectual property I would be violating the principle of fair use. According to the Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education using certain copyrighted material can be acceptable due to the fact that it was used "in the educational setting."

I gained new skills by creating my Twitter account. It allowed me to connect with my instructor and classmates through an easy to use and innovative medium. I think that my new knowledge on personal learning networks can help me in my future career as a teacher. It is a great way to communicate and share ideas. Also, it is very helpful when it comes to critiquing and collaborating on assignments.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! It sounds like you are very well-versed in copyright and fair use. I'm glad to hear that you take it so seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is very well written. I agree that twitter is a very useful way for this class to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Twitter allows us to connect with each other and share our ideas.

    ReplyDelete